Skip to main content

Week 9

After watching the videos for this week I found it really interesting how prevalent space was in movies, but especially children's movies. Some videos mentioned a few movies that are centered around space exploration and after doing more research about the impacts of this I found that it has had a pretty widespread impact.

People for hundreds of years have been fascinated with outer space and planets, but ever since we have seen footage of people on the moon, this fascination has grown exponentially. Why do we as human like the idea of weightlessness, what does it give to us? Gravity is just a subjective experience of lightness and weightlessness (Jackson). However, children and adults alike all enjoy movies like ET and Wall-E that try to describe the magic of space. 

Outer space is a difficult concept for children to learn because it is so abstract, and it is hard for them to learn about things they can't see ("Teaching Kids About Space"). This is why different movies can help to teach kids about different concepts in space if even through science fiction means (Forde). We can learn about things like gravity, physics, climates of other planets, and the possibility of other life and by exposing ourselves to movies and pop culture (Hollingham). 

Pop culture also does a great job of penetrating the everyday life of average citizens with how it is to be an astronaut on a daily basis. Because of how much more familiar society is with outer space and the life of astronauts, NASA received a record number of applicants this year. This is great for the future of space exploration and is due in big part to the availability of information through art and media (Koren).



Arnold, Gary. “E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.” Rotten Tomatoes, www.rottentomatoes.com/m/et_the_extraterrestrial/.
Bishop, Buzz. “Top 11 Space Movies For Kids.” Babble, 18 Oct. 2016, www.babble.com/kid/top-11-space-movies-for-kids-not-called-star-wars/.
Forde, Kathleen. “Dancing on the Ceiling: Art and Zero Gravity.” Zero Gravity, zerogravity.empac.rpi.edu/.
Hollingham, Richard. “Future - What Movies Can Teach Us About Life in Space.” BBC, BBC, 18 Nov. 2014, www.bbc.com/future/story/20141114-movie-lessons-on-life-in-space.
Jackson, Katrina. “The Influence of Television and Film on Interest in Space and Science .” Space Studies, University of North Dakota, Aug. 2013, citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.695.686&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
Koren, Marina. “Why Are So Many People Applying to Be Astronauts?” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 7 June 2017, www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/nasa-astronauts/529149/.
Pearlman, Robert Z. “Italian Astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti Sets Record for Women in Space.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 9 June 2015, www.nbcnews.com/science/space/italian-astronaut-sam-cristoforetti-sets-record-women-space-n372591.
“Teaching Kids About Space Using Movies.” School Is Easy: Tutoring , www.schooliseasy.com/2016/11/teaching-kids-space-using-movies/.

Comments

  1. I've also noticed the prevalence of outer space as a theme in media and movies. It is a great way to bridge the gap between aerospace sciences and art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

The topic this week was Art and Biology. I don’t think I have ever learned much about this cross-section of fields, so I was really intrigued in a lot of different topics presented. However, I really wanted to focus on and learn more about Marta De Menezes work, specifically her project “Nature?” Marta is originally from Portugal and her work Nature? Was done in 1999 (Nature? 2012). I found this work to be extremely interesting, because I have never heard of artwork that literally lives and dies. Although this was her most well received project, it did have some controversy, which Marta is quick to dismiss. She explains that just because the butterfly is manipulated there is no reason to call it man-made or artificial (Silva, 2008). The way in which Marta does the modification is with an extremely thin needle paired with heat to redesign the wing when they are still in their cocoons (Reinert, 2004). Since the genes remain unchanged the new design of the wings is no...

Week 4

Reflecting upon the video lectures from this week, I found it very interesting to recognize how true it is that most scientific and medical advances are made as a result of war. Usually when we think of prosthetic limbs we think of people who lost an arm or leg. However, with the Third Hand Project that was talked about in lecture, they weren’t replacing any limbs but instead adding addition help. Upon researching this further, the researcher was disappointment with the lack of accuracy that this robotic arm had and its lack of precision when receiving the muscle contractions from the hand. This is how I feel that prosthetic limbs vary whether they are supplementing or replacing a body part. My uncle had a prosthetic hand, because of medical complications when he was born. However, he always was so grateful for everything the mechanical hand could do and appreciated it even if it wasn’t perfect. The expectation that comes with the mechanical hand depends on the...

Week 8

This week in particular, I had a hard time picking a topic that I wanted to focus on. Even after watching all of the video lectures I still had a hard time connecting the idea of nanotechnology to art, as I felt many of the topics covered didn’t completely relate to the art sector. Then after I read more about art and nanotechnology I found Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau’s work of creating an invisible sculpture. The way they were able to achieve this was with a wireless magnetic force-feedback, which let viewers interact with invisible nanoparticles in order to create a malleable sculpture that changes as people interact with it. They must wear a magnetic ring that allows them to physically feel the repulsions, attractions, and sometimes even shock to help them discover the foundation of the sculpture. The shape of this invisible sculpture changes based how people interact with the magnetic rings and how many people are viewing it (John Curtain Gallery). ...