Skip to main content

Event #2



Going to the Museum of Jurassic Technology was nothing like I expected it to be. Leaving the museum after a little confused and frustrated, I went home to research more about it. After doing so I found a quote from the owner of the museum that helped relieve me a little, “Somewhere between downtown L.A. and the ocean, between art and science, between a waking and a dream state, the Museum of Jurassic Technology attempts to answer all or none of these questions” (Jones 2015). He explains how he wants the museum to give some general sense of understanding while dodging complete transparency. The low lighting in this space greatly aided in the attempt of transporting the visitors to another place.

(Photos not allowed inside, but I snuck this one)
After going through the whole museum and learning a bunch of interesting random facts, I was struggling to find a concrete thing that I wanted to relate back to this class. There were many scientific advancements and ideas showcased throughout the many different areas of the museum, but one part that really stuck with me was the description of theater mechanics that I read about in a hallway. When I saw the different drawings depicting the theaters and the sign that described the importance of the architecture, it really got me thinking about how important the design of theaters are for those to go to watch performances. After reading I realized how the backdrop, scenery, acoustics, and seating are all vital pieces for the enjoyment of the show. The exhibit in the Museum of Jurassic Technology only talked about the theater mechanics of old theaters, but I also started thinking about newer theaters and how much technology contributes to the experience. The lighting, special effects, and moving platforms all contribute to telling the story.


Theaters have completely transformed what it means to go see a production, and since the time of the Greeks, the basic structure of theaters has remained the same, but the technology that coincides with it has advanced tremendously. Even back when the Coliseum was being used, they would use elevators, trap doors, and the same basic set up of stadium seating to utilize the space and resources available. Around 1415, Filippo Brunelleschi uncovers the secret of linear perspective: a mathematical formula that makes the illusion of space and distance while on a 2D exterior (Wild 2002). Since these so much progress has been made in terms of computer-generated technology to improve the experience for the viewers.

In an interview about his museum, director David Wilson says, “We are half the equation, at best. People’s minds are the other half. What they do with it is forever surprising and amazing, which is how it should be” (Blitz 2015). I believe this quote relates well with my blog post, because even though this was only a tiny piece of the museum, my mind is what took the piece of it and wanted to learn more, so David Wilson did exactly what he intended by sparking curiosity in me through his exhibits at the Museum of Jurassic Technology.


Blitz, Matt. “Inside Los Angeles's Strangest Museum.” Smithsonian.com, Smithsonian Institution, 31 Mar. 2015, www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/inside-las-strangest-museum-180954803/.

Jones, Oliver. “An Afternoon in The Museum of Jurassic Technology: The 'Strangest Museum in America'.” The Daily Beast, The Daily Beast Company, 4 Aug. 2015, www.thedailybeast.com/an-afternoon-in-the-museum-of-jurassic-technology-the-strangest-museum-in-america?ref=scroll.

Wild, Larry. “A Brief History of Theatrical Scenery.” Northern State University, 18 Feb. 2002, www3.northern.edu/wild/ScDes/sdhist.htm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

The topic this week was Art and Biology. I don’t think I have ever learned much about this cross-section of fields, so I was really intrigued in a lot of different topics presented. However, I really wanted to focus on and learn more about Marta De Menezes work, specifically her project “Nature?” Marta is originally from Portugal and her work Nature? Was done in 1999 (Nature? 2012). I found this work to be extremely interesting, because I have never heard of artwork that literally lives and dies. Although this was her most well received project, it did have some controversy, which Marta is quick to dismiss. She explains that just because the butterfly is manipulated there is no reason to call it man-made or artificial (Silva, 2008). The way in which Marta does the modification is with an extremely thin needle paired with heat to redesign the wing when they are still in their cocoons (Reinert, 2004). Since the genes remain unchanged the new design of the wings is no...

Week 4

Reflecting upon the video lectures from this week, I found it very interesting to recognize how true it is that most scientific and medical advances are made as a result of war. Usually when we think of prosthetic limbs we think of people who lost an arm or leg. However, with the Third Hand Project that was talked about in lecture, they weren’t replacing any limbs but instead adding addition help. Upon researching this further, the researcher was disappointment with the lack of accuracy that this robotic arm had and its lack of precision when receiving the muscle contractions from the hand. This is how I feel that prosthetic limbs vary whether they are supplementing or replacing a body part. My uncle had a prosthetic hand, because of medical complications when he was born. However, he always was so grateful for everything the mechanical hand could do and appreciated it even if it wasn’t perfect. The expectation that comes with the mechanical hand depends on the...

Week 8

This week in particular, I had a hard time picking a topic that I wanted to focus on. Even after watching all of the video lectures I still had a hard time connecting the idea of nanotechnology to art, as I felt many of the topics covered didn’t completely relate to the art sector. Then after I read more about art and nanotechnology I found Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau’s work of creating an invisible sculpture. The way they were able to achieve this was with a wireless magnetic force-feedback, which let viewers interact with invisible nanoparticles in order to create a malleable sculpture that changes as people interact with it. They must wear a magnetic ring that allows them to physically feel the repulsions, attractions, and sometimes even shock to help them discover the foundation of the sculpture. The shape of this invisible sculpture changes based how people interact with the magnetic rings and how many people are viewing it (John Curtain Gallery). ...