Skip to main content

Week 4


Reflecting upon the video lectures from this week, I found it very interesting to recognize how true it is that most scientific and medical advances are made as a result of war. Usually when we think of prosthetic limbs we think of people who lost an arm or leg. However, with the Third Hand Project that was talked about in lecture, they weren’t replacing any limbs but instead adding addition help.

Upon researching this further, the researcher was disappointment with the lack of accuracy that this robotic arm had and its lack of precision when receiving the muscle contractions from the hand. This is how I feel that prosthetic limbs vary whether they are supplementing or replacing a body part. My uncle had a prosthetic hand, because of medical complications when he was born. However, he always was so grateful for everything the mechanical hand could do and appreciated it even if it wasn’t perfect. The expectation that comes with the mechanical hand depends on the situation that the recipient is in.

I know this is a small piece of a lot of topics that we talked about in lecture, but it really resonated with me, and I feel as though my personal experience could add something important to the conversation. I think this analysis could also be related to plastic surgery, whereas someone getting a cleft palate surgery would probably be thrilled no matter what when they receive their new lips, but someone looking to reconstruct their fully functioning lips for aesthetic appeal may have higher expectations on how it should look. 











 “Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate Repair.” Johns Hopkins Facial Plastic Surgery in Baltimore, MD, 13 Sept. 2017, www.hopkinsmedicine.org/otolaryngology/specialty_areas/facial_plastic_reconstructive_surgery/reconstructive_procedures/cleft_lip_palate_repair.html.
Dear, Alice. “TRUTH Behind Kylie Jenner's Transformation Exposed.” OK! Magazine, 16 Mar. 2018, www.ok.co.uk/lifestyle/beauty/1330061/kylie-jenner-before-and-after-plastic-surgery-boob-job-nose-job-lip-fillers.
Dear, Alice. “TRUTH Behind Kylie Jenner's Transformation Exposed.” OK! Magazine, 16 Mar. 2018, www.ok.co.uk/lifestyle/beauty/1330061/kylie-jenner-before-and-after-plastic-surgery-boob-job-nose-job-lip-fillers.
Mccann, Grace. “ We Reveal 5 Medical Marvels Introduced by 3D-Printing.” Daily Mail Online, Associated Newspapers, 30 Jan. 2017, www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4173846/We-reveal-5-medical-marvels-introduced-3D-printing.html.
Stelarc. “Stelarc.” Med in Art, www.medinart.eu/works/stelarc/.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading about your personal connection to this week's topic. I also thought it was particularly interesting how so many advancements throughout history originated in or as a result of wars. Prosthetic limbs and plastic surgeries are great examples of the intersection of art, medicine, and technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your idea that medical technologies have a positive impact on our societies. Even though those technologies are not perfect, they have made disability people’s lives much more convenient. For example, a person who lost an arm requires care by others before the emergence of prosthetic limbs. With prosthetic arm, that person could live by himself, which improves his life quality as well as improve his confidence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

The topic this week was Art and Biology. I don’t think I have ever learned much about this cross-section of fields, so I was really intrigued in a lot of different topics presented. However, I really wanted to focus on and learn more about Marta De Menezes work, specifically her project “Nature?” Marta is originally from Portugal and her work Nature? Was done in 1999 (Nature? 2012). I found this work to be extremely interesting, because I have never heard of artwork that literally lives and dies. Although this was her most well received project, it did have some controversy, which Marta is quick to dismiss. She explains that just because the butterfly is manipulated there is no reason to call it man-made or artificial (Silva, 2008). The way in which Marta does the modification is with an extremely thin needle paired with heat to redesign the wing when they are still in their cocoons (Reinert, 2004). Since the genes remain unchanged the new design of the wings is no...

Week 8

This week in particular, I had a hard time picking a topic that I wanted to focus on. Even after watching all of the video lectures I still had a hard time connecting the idea of nanotechnology to art, as I felt many of the topics covered didn’t completely relate to the art sector. Then after I read more about art and nanotechnology I found Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau’s work of creating an invisible sculpture. The way they were able to achieve this was with a wireless magnetic force-feedback, which let viewers interact with invisible nanoparticles in order to create a malleable sculpture that changes as people interact with it. They must wear a magnetic ring that allows them to physically feel the repulsions, attractions, and sometimes even shock to help them discover the foundation of the sculpture. The shape of this invisible sculpture changes based how people interact with the magnetic rings and how many people are viewing it (John Curtain Gallery). ...