Skip to main content

Week 2


The link between math and art is much more prevalent than one may think. The first connection that many people can make is with shapes and paintings, because the more exact you can make angles and shapes, the more accurate your work of art can be. An artist who clearly exhibits this type of work is Ilya Bolotowsky, who specializes in cubism and geometric abstraction. To the right is one of his works. 





Another, more conceptual way is seen in any house or building you look at. Any structure no matter how simple or complex uses an enormous amount of math to ensure that all the proportions and measurements are correct. This is needed for the simplest shed and for architectures more like a work of art such as the Sydney Opera House seen below.

The most abstract way that I have thought about the hybrid of numbers and art is with the approach of how numbers are incorporated in art as entertainment. This can be seen on adult shows such as Numbers, as mentioned in the lecture video, but it can also be seen in children’s shows such as the Count in Sesame Street. He bridges the musical part of art with the counting part of math. This is an example of how kids handle math and art before we separate them in school or through other games and activities.














Abbott, Edwin Abbott. Flatland. Penguin, 1998.
Hahn, Alexandra J. “Mathematical Excursions To Architecture.” Inside Science, 5 Aug. 2016, www.insidescience.org/news/mathematical-excursions-architecture.
Knight, Richard. “Why Was 34,969 Count Von Count's Magic Number?” BBC News, BBC, 31 Aug. 2012, www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19409960.
Raynor, Vivien. “ART: ILYA BOLOTOWSKY.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 4 Feb. 1983, www.nytimes.com/1983/02/04/arts/art-ilya-bolotowsky.html.
Wakin, Daniel J. “Ilya Bolotowsky (1907 – 1981).” Farhat Cultural Center, 8 Sept. 2015, farhatculturalcenter.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/ilya-bolotowsky-1907-1981/.
Vesna, Victoria. “Mathematics.” Lecture. CoLE DESMA 9. Web, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=mMmq5B1LKDg.

Comments

  1. I liked how you brought in the perspective of the intersection of math and entertainment, specifically in children's shows such as Sesame Street. This proves that at a young age we are taught to value these disciplines equally and that they are somewhat interconnected. However as we progress towards schooling and traditional education art and math are portrayed as polar ends of the spectrum and are rarely intertwined.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

The topic this week was Art and Biology. I don’t think I have ever learned much about this cross-section of fields, so I was really intrigued in a lot of different topics presented. However, I really wanted to focus on and learn more about Marta De Menezes work, specifically her project “Nature?” Marta is originally from Portugal and her work Nature? Was done in 1999 (Nature? 2012). I found this work to be extremely interesting, because I have never heard of artwork that literally lives and dies. Although this was her most well received project, it did have some controversy, which Marta is quick to dismiss. She explains that just because the butterfly is manipulated there is no reason to call it man-made or artificial (Silva, 2008). The way in which Marta does the modification is with an extremely thin needle paired with heat to redesign the wing when they are still in their cocoons (Reinert, 2004). Since the genes remain unchanged the new design of the wings is no...

Week 4

Reflecting upon the video lectures from this week, I found it very interesting to recognize how true it is that most scientific and medical advances are made as a result of war. Usually when we think of prosthetic limbs we think of people who lost an arm or leg. However, with the Third Hand Project that was talked about in lecture, they weren’t replacing any limbs but instead adding addition help. Upon researching this further, the researcher was disappointment with the lack of accuracy that this robotic arm had and its lack of precision when receiving the muscle contractions from the hand. This is how I feel that prosthetic limbs vary whether they are supplementing or replacing a body part. My uncle had a prosthetic hand, because of medical complications when he was born. However, he always was so grateful for everything the mechanical hand could do and appreciated it even if it wasn’t perfect. The expectation that comes with the mechanical hand depends on the...

Week 8

This week in particular, I had a hard time picking a topic that I wanted to focus on. Even after watching all of the video lectures I still had a hard time connecting the idea of nanotechnology to art, as I felt many of the topics covered didn’t completely relate to the art sector. Then after I read more about art and nanotechnology I found Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau’s work of creating an invisible sculpture. The way they were able to achieve this was with a wireless magnetic force-feedback, which let viewers interact with invisible nanoparticles in order to create a malleable sculpture that changes as people interact with it. They must wear a magnetic ring that allows them to physically feel the repulsions, attractions, and sometimes even shock to help them discover the foundation of the sculpture. The shape of this invisible sculpture changes based how people interact with the magnetic rings and how many people are viewing it (John Curtain Gallery). ...