Skip to main content

Week 1



My name is Maddy and I am Sociology major. I see two distinct cultures in my life with school and being an athlete at UCLA. Although we are student-athletes and are supposed to bridge this gap it is often difficult to do in practice, mostly because the administration for the two different “worlds” are not in close contact. In both articles the authors have a similar viewpoint. Although they see art and science as two separate entities, they notice the progressions that the subjects have taken to get to this point. According to the article written by Vesna, she relates the gap between the rich and poor as a result of the separation of the two fields of art and science, as Snow agrees that we need to break this cycle to help reduce the socioeconomic status gap. 
                         

Although this gap isn’t something that I notice on a daily basis, at school we notice many effects of the distinction between these groups. The most apparent one is the separation of the sides of campus, which is turn leads to stereotypes being put in place. It is a common thought that the South Campus majors are more driven and intelligent students leaving the North Campus majors to feel stigmatized. 


These articles didn’t exactly change my perspective, but just formed a more holistic perspective where I can better understand the values and psychological approaches these groups hold. I believe that gaining any type of knowledge that can help formulate a better-educated perspective, and when dealing with two polar opposite categories like this more education is crucial. In order to bridge any situation where two contrasting fields are involved it is important to understand as many facts as possible. I relate this to the politics and people who are extremely conservative or extremely liberal. If these groups never listen to the other group nothing would ever get solved in the government, so even though they have different values and drastically different views they can bridge the gap to make decisions.

Kuang, Cliff. “Infographic Of The Day: Liberals And Conservatives Raise Kids Differently.” Co.Design, Co.Design, 25 July 2011, www.fastcodesign.com/1664565/infographic-of-the-day-liberals-and-conservatives-raise-kids-differently.
Popova, Maria. “Schopenhauer on the Essential Difference Between How Art and Science Reveal the World.” Brain Pickings, 5 Aug. 2016, www.brainpickings.org/2016/08/05/schopenhauer-art-science/.
 Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.
"UCLA Vending Services: Location Map and List of Locations." UCLA Vending Services: Location Map and List of Locations. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Apr. 2015. <http://www.vending.ucla.edu/housing_site/vending/vendmap.htm>
Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.”Leonardo(2001): 121-25. Web.


Comments

  1. I like what you said about how South Campus majors are viewed as more driven and intelligent due to the importance and prestige associated with their disciplines. North Campus majors are left to feel inferior and are valued less, which I relate to on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your application of the concept of the articles to your own life and the world around you was thoughtful and relatable to my own life. Your blog post made me realize that the two different perspectives/cultures can be applied to many areas of my life. At the end you make a good point that the two sides do have their own ideas but in order to function properly and effectively, there needs to be more communication which I think is a good lesson to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

The topic this week was Art and Biology. I don’t think I have ever learned much about this cross-section of fields, so I was really intrigued in a lot of different topics presented. However, I really wanted to focus on and learn more about Marta De Menezes work, specifically her project “Nature?” Marta is originally from Portugal and her work Nature? Was done in 1999 (Nature? 2012). I found this work to be extremely interesting, because I have never heard of artwork that literally lives and dies. Although this was her most well received project, it did have some controversy, which Marta is quick to dismiss. She explains that just because the butterfly is manipulated there is no reason to call it man-made or artificial (Silva, 2008). The way in which Marta does the modification is with an extremely thin needle paired with heat to redesign the wing when they are still in their cocoons (Reinert, 2004). Since the genes remain unchanged the new design of the wings is no...

Week 4

Reflecting upon the video lectures from this week, I found it very interesting to recognize how true it is that most scientific and medical advances are made as a result of war. Usually when we think of prosthetic limbs we think of people who lost an arm or leg. However, with the Third Hand Project that was talked about in lecture, they weren’t replacing any limbs but instead adding addition help. Upon researching this further, the researcher was disappointment with the lack of accuracy that this robotic arm had and its lack of precision when receiving the muscle contractions from the hand. This is how I feel that prosthetic limbs vary whether they are supplementing or replacing a body part. My uncle had a prosthetic hand, because of medical complications when he was born. However, he always was so grateful for everything the mechanical hand could do and appreciated it even if it wasn’t perfect. The expectation that comes with the mechanical hand depends on the...

Week 8

This week in particular, I had a hard time picking a topic that I wanted to focus on. Even after watching all of the video lectures I still had a hard time connecting the idea of nanotechnology to art, as I felt many of the topics covered didn’t completely relate to the art sector. Then after I read more about art and nanotechnology I found Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau’s work of creating an invisible sculpture. The way they were able to achieve this was with a wireless magnetic force-feedback, which let viewers interact with invisible nanoparticles in order to create a malleable sculpture that changes as people interact with it. They must wear a magnetic ring that allows them to physically feel the repulsions, attractions, and sometimes even shock to help them discover the foundation of the sculpture. The shape of this invisible sculpture changes based how people interact with the magnetic rings and how many people are viewing it (John Curtain Gallery). ...