Skip to main content

EVENT #1 LASER


I had the honor of attending the LASER event last week. It was such an eye-opening experience that taught me an entire different perspective on the bridge of art and science. The Bread Diaries was super interesting to me, because of the multi-meaning of the bread. I loved that it symbolized freedom and homeland and how people were able to use this to show their stance. I also found it mesmerizing to watch the machine draw out the bread from all over the world.  I think this was a great specific example of how scientific machinery can be used for artistic means.
The next presenter I was a little confused on honestly, but I think I grasped a few concepts that helped further my understanding. He focused on making the fake real. I found it very interesting that he would take things that were already real somewhere and recreate a fake version of them somewhere else. He would construct them using technology, if it were logistically impossible to go film where the object actually existed.
The third guy recorded sounds and vibrations from artistic sculptures all over the world. He took the vibrations from huge bridges or bells, objects you wouldn’t expect to have such extraordinary sound patterns associated with them. This was the presentation I found the most interesting, just because it was something that I had never thought of or ever heard of someone doing. He even expanded his repertoire to waterfalls and mountains that also picked up unbelievable noises.

The final presenter was a woman from the only University in the world specifically for people who are deaf. She bridged technology and art by creating videos as a way to depict some of her everyday life experiences. She wanted to portray how hard it is to communicate with hearers and how she picks up some, but not all of the words that people say. This was beautifully illustrated through a compilation of a series of broken up conversations people have had with her. This was one of the best ways I have ever gotten to get a glimpse of what it is like to be deaf and try to converse with someone.


http://artsci.ucla.edu/node/1386



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

The topic this week was Art and Biology. I don’t think I have ever learned much about this cross-section of fields, so I was really intrigued in a lot of different topics presented. However, I really wanted to focus on and learn more about Marta De Menezes work, specifically her project “Nature?” Marta is originally from Portugal and her work Nature? Was done in 1999 (Nature? 2012). I found this work to be extremely interesting, because I have never heard of artwork that literally lives and dies. Although this was her most well received project, it did have some controversy, which Marta is quick to dismiss. She explains that just because the butterfly is manipulated there is no reason to call it man-made or artificial (Silva, 2008). The way in which Marta does the modification is with an extremely thin needle paired with heat to redesign the wing when they are still in their cocoons (Reinert, 2004). Since the genes remain unchanged the new design of the wings is no...

Week 4

Reflecting upon the video lectures from this week, I found it very interesting to recognize how true it is that most scientific and medical advances are made as a result of war. Usually when we think of prosthetic limbs we think of people who lost an arm or leg. However, with the Third Hand Project that was talked about in lecture, they weren’t replacing any limbs but instead adding addition help. Upon researching this further, the researcher was disappointment with the lack of accuracy that this robotic arm had and its lack of precision when receiving the muscle contractions from the hand. This is how I feel that prosthetic limbs vary whether they are supplementing or replacing a body part. My uncle had a prosthetic hand, because of medical complications when he was born. However, he always was so grateful for everything the mechanical hand could do and appreciated it even if it wasn’t perfect. The expectation that comes with the mechanical hand depends on the...

Week 8

This week in particular, I had a hard time picking a topic that I wanted to focus on. Even after watching all of the video lectures I still had a hard time connecting the idea of nanotechnology to art, as I felt many of the topics covered didn’t completely relate to the art sector. Then after I read more about art and nanotechnology I found Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau’s work of creating an invisible sculpture. The way they were able to achieve this was with a wireless magnetic force-feedback, which let viewers interact with invisible nanoparticles in order to create a malleable sculpture that changes as people interact with it. They must wear a magnetic ring that allows them to physically feel the repulsions, attractions, and sometimes even shock to help them discover the foundation of the sculpture. The shape of this invisible sculpture changes based how people interact with the magnetic rings and how many people are viewing it (John Curtain Gallery). ...